Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives.
Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university: one unbound by ivory towers and sandstone walls. Rather, we are focused on fostering collaboration between students, academics, industry and society, encouraging all to traverse the boundaries of their own perspective and affect change.
Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. A place of constant stimulus and human interaction.
Together, we advance world-class theoretical thinking and translate it into real-world solutions. We’re connecting people across the most diverse fields of knowledge to create bold new possibilities: for their careers, intellectual endeavours, enterprises and the common good.
At Macquarie, people become skilled at switching between specialist and generalist mindsets; mastering complexity, thinking holistically and helping to create a better future.
Connect with us today.
About the School of Engineering
The School of Engineering is committed to excellence in research, learning & teaching, and industry engagement. We offer an integrated cross-disciplinary engineering program with specialisations in electronics, electrical, communication systems, mechatronics and mechanical engineering. The School has a strong learning and teaching culture. We encourage a scholarly approach to learning and teaching with the integration of industry relevant skills throughout the degree program.
The technical team supporting the School of Engineering is looking for an enthusiastic and skilled individual to join our team in this newly created role. As the Technical Officer – Machinist you will provide specialist technical and administrative support for the School's Mechanical Engineering teaching and research laboratories.
Reporting to the Technical Team Manager you will:
- Demonstrate the use of equipment and the running of experiments for students in teaching and practical sessions
- Design, prepare, test and maintain equipment for practical classes and technical facilities
- Be a Work Health & Safety (WHS) ambassador and ensure WHS is actively maintained in the lab setting including the running of WHS inductions and the maintenance of risk management protocols
To be considered for this position you will need to submit, as part of your application, a separate document responding to the below selection criteria.
- A relevant qualification or equivalent combination of experience, education and training in the area of machine shop technology.
- Competence in the use of CAD/CAM software.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience in operating electrical and mechanical fabrication equipment (such as soldering & cabling equipment, machining/workshop equipment).
- A successful track record of writing technical reports and maintaining documentation for an active and busy laboratory (including WHS records or protocols)
- Experience working in a teaching or laboratory environment
Role specific conditions: Start or end times may vary based on classes scheduled between 8am and 6pm
For further information regarding this role, please review the position description below.
Salary Package: From $70,699 to $80,381 p.a. (Level 5), plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading.
Appointment Type: Full-time, continuing
Specific Role Enquiries: Susan Law, Technical Team Manager on email@example.com or 02 9850 8126
General Recruitment Enquiries: Elizabeth Swaney on firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Description: Technical Officer - Machinist
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance