Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives.
Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university: one unbound by ivory towers and sandstone walls. Rather, we are focused on fostering collaboration between students, academics, industry and society, encouraging all to traverse the boundaries of their own perspective and affect change.
Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. A place of constant stimulus and human interaction.
Together, we advance world-class theoretical thinking and translate it into real-world solutions. We’re connecting people across the most diverse fields of knowledge to create bold new possibilities: for their careers, intellectual endeavours, enterprises and the common good.
At Macquarie, people become skilled at switching between specialist and generalist mindsets; mastering complexity, thinking holistically and helping to create a better future.
Connect with us today.
Macquarie GEMOC-Nu Fellowship
The purpose of the Macquarie GEMOC-Nu Fellowship is to provide support at a postdoctoral level for and excellent individual in the field of geochemistry and specifically the development of in situ methodologies and techniques for element and isotope analysis. Nu Instruments (along with Cameca) has now become part of Ametek.
The Macquarie Geoanalytical Unit (MQGA) is a leading laboratory with an international track record in in situ analysis of elements and isotopes with a stable of relevant world-class instrumentation and geochemical laboratories (www.es.mq.edu.au/CCFS) It provides analytical facilities for research projects funded by the Australian Research Council, other government grants and industry collaborations, and is one of three national geochemical nodes for the NCRIS AuScope Capability ”Earth Composition and Evolution” (http://www.auscope.org.au/earth-composition-and-evolution/). The Nu Fellowship development role aligns with the recent RAAP (Research Acceleration and Advancement Program – NCRIS co-investment) grant to GEMOC. The laboratory attracts a large number of national and international researchers annually as well as providing geochemical analytical support for all staff, postgraduates and senior undergraduates in EPS and other Macquarie Departments.
We are seeking a qualified Research Associate to join a team with an international reputation for producing high quality research on Earth and Planetary Sciences. You will undertake research related to the development of innovative methods for in situ analysis of trace elements and radiogenic and non-conventional stable isotope systems by laser ablation Multicollector ICP-MS.
To be considered for this role, applicants must address the selection criteria below and upload as a separate document.
Essential Selection Criteria:
* PhD in a relevant field of geology or geochemistry or equivalent
* Experience in geochemistry-petrology research
* Experience with geochemical analytical procedures for LA-ICPMS and LA-MC-ICPMS
* Experience in stable and radiogenic isotopic analysis and relevant laboratory procedures
* Experience in daily operating procedures and trouble-shooting for LA-ICPMS and LA-MC-ICPMS
* Demonstrated capacity to independently troubleshoot for MC-ICPMS
* Ability to undertake geochemical method development using ion microprobe, LA-ICPMS and LA-MC-ICPMS
* Demonstrated ability to interpret complex geochemical datasets and publish leading-edge research
* Demonstrated capacity for productive scientific research (relative to career opportunity).
* Ability to work effectively in a team environment and contribute positively to an active milieu
Desirable Selection Criteria:
* Experience in international laboratories specialising in geochemical analysis
* Experience with electron probe micro-analysis
* Research experience and publications in relevant topics, especially mantle-derived material and relevant methodology development.
Salary Package: From $102,875-$121,719 per annum (Level B), plus 9.5% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading.
Appointment Type: Full-time, fixed-term for a period of 1.5 years.
Specific Role Enquiries: Associate Professor Olivier Alard email@example.com
Applications Close: 11.55pm Wednesday 20 June 2018
Macquarie University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.