Research Fellow - Optics
Job no: 504635
Work type: Full Time
Vacancy type: Internal Vacancy, External Vacancy
Categories: Academic - Research Only / Fellowship
- Salary Package: Academic Level B –from $101,877 - $120,537 p.a. (Level B), plus 9.5% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading
- Appointment Type: Full-time, 8 months fixed term
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
The School of Engineering at Macquarie University is seeking a motivated and experienced early career research to carry out mid-infrared fibre source research, supervise graduate students, write research grants to attract funding and publish widely in journals, websites and conferences. As an important part of the Mid-Infrared Sources Group, and Reporting to Associate Professor Stuart Jackson, you will:
- Lead and carry out experimental research in mid-infrared fibre laser research for applications in defence, materials processing and sensing
- Supervise graduate students on day to day basis.
- Write reports and scientific journal articles
- Write grants proposals to a number of funding bodies located in the public and private sectors.
You will have completed a PhD within Engineering or Physics and are undertaking high-quality research in areas such optics, photonics, with a particular emphasis on mid-infrared light along with a solid publication record. You will have project management and high level organisational skills. Your collaborative approach to working with others will ensure you perform effectively within an inter-disciplinary and international environment. You will be an excellent communicator with a proactive nature and be flexible and resilient in your approach.
The School of Engineering sits within the Faculty of Science and Engineering, and consists of an experienced and diverse team of researchers and educators blazing new trails in the spirit of discovery, exploration and impact. We are building talented and knowledgeable engineers and forming a community of innovators and creators with a passion for research and making a real impact.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
To be considered for this position, please apply online by submitting your CV (including a list of two referees) and a separate cover letter that demonstrates how you meet the following selection criteria:
- You have a PhD degree in engineering or physics;
- Strong ability in mid-infrared optics, fibre optics, optics experimentation, numerical modelling and project management;
- Experience with LabVIEW for data acquisition and/or Matlab for data processing, or similar;
- A solid track record of working effectively as part of a team, preferably within a cross-disciplinary team;
- A track record of achievement in research or development relative to opportunity;
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills in the preparation of high-quality reports, presentations, and publications;
- An ability and willingness to direct and supervise final year undergraduate students and PhD students in the area of optics and photonics engineering; and
- Highly developed organisational skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities and to meet deadlines.
Salary Package: from $101,877 - $120,537 p.a. (Level B), plus 9.5% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading
Appointment Type: Full-time, 8 months fixed-term
Applications Close: Sunday 21 October 2018 at 11:55pm EST
Macquarie University is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We value individual difference and recognise the strength of a vibrant, diverse and inclusive workforce where the backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our staff are a driving force for collaboration, innovation and impact.
We work to ensure genuine equality of opportunity for people regardless of their gender, age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or family status, and we encourage you to apply for a position at Macquarie University.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search resultsPrint application form Apply now