- Inhouse opportunity at a leading University
- A collaborative work environment and supportive team
- Permanent role + Competitive salary package from $147,688 to $173,799 (HEW 10 Band 1), includes 17% employer's superannuation.
As a Senior Solicitor within this legal team of 7, you will be a highly skilled generalist to support the General Counsel in delivering legal services and providing quality advice to achieve the University’s outcomes. You will work with a high degree of independence in a stimulating environment with work/life balance.
This is a rare opportunity to move to an inhouse role and provide direct support and contribute to the continuous success of this leading University.
Reporting to the General Counsel, you will:
- Play a key role in ensuring the Office of General Counsel is a proactive, highly respected strategic advisory service for complex, high-value work.
- Provide legal advice and services to meet the needs of internal clients on a wide range of legal questions or issues affecting the University
- Partner with key stakeholders to enable high quality and consistent legal advice and support to achievement of the strategic objectives of the University.
- Lead new approaches to risk management, case management and commercial activities within the University and its controlled entities.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 4 years’ experience as an in-house or corporate legal counsel;
- Highly organised with excellent management, conceptual and analytical skills and a proven ability to build strong relationships and partnerships across client business areas and with other key stakeholders
- Experience in complex drafting and negotiating research contracts and university grant contracts, commercial contracts, intellectual property, property or employment law matters will be highly regarded, however not all areas of law are essential;
- Relevant experience working with or in the higher education sector would be well regarded.
The General Counsel’s Office is responsible for the provision of legal services to the University, including providing legal advice to the Council, the Chancellor, the Vice-Chancellor, senior executives and other officers of the University and co-ordinating any external legal services provided to the University.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we have grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
To be considered for this position, please apply online and attach your resume and a separate cover letter that outlines how you meet the role and candidate specifications.
For further information regarding this role please view the position description below:
Position Description: University Solicitor.pdf
Appointment Type: Full time, continuing appointment
Role Specific Enquiries: Carol Kirby on email@example.com
Applications Close: Sunday, 3 February 2019 at 11:55pm (AEDT)
Location: Macquarie University, North Ryde NSW 2109
Macquarie University is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We value individual difference and recognise the strength of a vibrant, diverse and inclusive workforce where the backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our staff are a driving force for collaboration, innovation and impact.
We work to ensure genuine equality of opportunity for people regardless of their gender, age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or family status, and we encourage you to apply for a position at Macquarie University.