- Salary Package: From $73,216 to $98,588 p.a. (academic level A), plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading.
- Appointment Type: Full time, continuing
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
This role will contribute to the development of the Department and enhance the student experience through the delivery of outstanding teaching, focusing on pedagogic innovation, governance and leadership of academic programmes.
Specifically, this role will include responsibility for convening and teaching in our Graduate Certificate of TESOL, as well as teaching in the Master of Applied Linguistics and TESOL. You will manage the practicum placements for postgraduate TESOL students and lead initiatives that contribute to the enhancement of student learning, professional development and achievement. You will also participate in and drive collaborative teaching initiatives such as Department teaching teams. Reporting to the Director of Programs in Applied Linguistics and TESOL and the Head of Department, this role will assume various administrative tasks, responsibilities and other duties, including committee work and student advising.
Macquarie University recently introduced an Academic Job Family Framework which recognises and rewards the breadth of academic work including promotion pathways. The Teaching & Leadership Academic is a specialist teaching and leadership role for academic staff who demonstrate excellence in teaching and leadership. As a specialist role, Teaching and Leadership Academic staff dedicate their workload contribution to Teaching, Teaching Leadership and Service. Click here for more information.
You will have recent experience in an academic role (including casual positions) at an Australian university within the last five years and will be competent in using student management systems such as Moodle. Your expertise will be in postgraduate teaching, particularly in areas such as TESOL methodologies, programming for TESOL, and reflective language teaching practice. Your passion for teaching and sharing your expertise with others will be one of your remarkable qualities and you will aspire to be a leader in this field. You will enjoy working in a collaborate environment and contributing to a positive work culture.
The Department of Linguistics is well known nationally and internationally for our cutting-edge research in the fields of hearing research, language processing, child language acquisition, professional communication, indigenous languages and adult language learning. The Department is ranked at number 36 in the world in the QS Rankings, and in the top three linguistics departments in Australia.
Macquarie’s Faculty of Human Sciences holds a distinctive place on the global stage. With several internationally acclaimed centres producing ground-breaking research in areas like linguistics, psychology, cognitive science and education, our faculty is a place of passionate educators and unbridled discovery. Supported by state-of-the-art facilities including the Australian Hearing Hub, we work together to investigate and answer some of the big questions about what makes us human.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
To be considered for this position, please apply online by submitting your CV and a separate cover letter (2-3 pages maximum) that demonstrates how you meet the following selection criteria:
- Demonstrated academic knowledge and professional experience in the area of TESOL
- Demonstrated experience managing TESOL practicum placements in primary schools as well as private language providers
- Experience teaching in Australian primary and/or high schools
- Experience teaching in and managing ELICOS programs
- Demonstrated commitment and capability to deliver high quality learning and teaching, including the design, delivery, and management of lectures, tutorials and seminars, for both internal and external student cohorts
- Demonstrated experience in materials development, curriculum development, and conducting professional development for language teachers
- Demonstrated experience in language program management
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with an ability to relate to colleagues and students from all backgrounds and to represent the Department to external stakeholders and the general public
- At minimum, a Master’s degree in Applied Linguistics and/or TESOL or closely related field
- A PhD in Applied Linguistics, TESOL, or a closely related field
- Additional ELT-related qualifications
- Experience teaching in overseas EFL settings
Specific Role Enquiries: Associate Professor Peter Roger at firstname.lastname@example.org
General Recruitment Enquiries: Alyssa Hayes, HR Consultant at email@example.com
Applications Close: Sunday 27 October, 2019 at 11:55pm (AEST)
Macquarie University is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We value individual difference and recognise the strength of a vibrant, diverse and inclusive workforce where the backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our staff are a driving force for collaboration, innovation and impact.
We work to ensure genuine equality of opportunity for people regardless of their gender, age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or family status, and we encourage you to apply for a position at Macquarie University.