- Salary Package: Level 7 from $93,986 - $101,901 p.a. plus employer’s 9.5% superannuation and annual leave loading
- Appointment Type: This is a parental leave replacement for 6 months, with a possibility of further extension
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) at Delhi Road location
We are seeking a Data Scientist to work with AAO-MQ Data Central team as a full stack developer. Data Central is an astronomical eResearch platform and data archive that facilitates cutting-edge science. It provides web-based tools and archive functionality for scientists to explore, collaborate and make new discoveries.
Reporting to the Head of Research Data and Software, you will provide specialised IT, software engineering and data science support and advice to the support the delivery of AAO’s strategic instrumentation, research, teaching and commercialisation objectives.
AAO-Macquarie commenced at the University on 1 July 2018 and 12 months on is continuing its exciting agenda for transformation – in both scale and efficiency. AAO-Macquarie is a world leader in the research and development of innovative telescope instrumentation and software and it’s team of experts build on the University’s existing strengths in astronomy, photonics, laser technology, microfabrication, applied optics and sensing communications, with the aim of increasing industry engagement, identifying opportunities to apply AAO-Macquarie’s expertise to medicine and defence, and expanding its presence in the fields of optics and sensing, in addition to the ongoing mission of world-leading excellence in astronomical instrumentation.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
To be considered for this position, please apply online by submitting your CV and a separate cover letter (no more than two pages) that demonstrates how you meet the following selection criteria:
- A degree in astronomy, IT, computer or data science and or a relevant disciple or a qualification and substantial relevant experience as a software engineering or data scientist.
- Demonstrated full stack development experience
- Good understanding of astronomical data/data models or similarly complex data sets
- Good understanding of the SDLC from requirements capture to fault finding and avoidance
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies
- Possess knowledge and experience of software engineering techniques.
- Familiarity with Django, Astropy, Hadoop and PrestoDB
For further information, please refer to the position description.
Specific Role Enquires: Dr Katrina Sealey at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application close: Sunday 22nd September 2019 at 11:55pm EST
Macquarie University is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We value individual difference and recognise the strength of a vibrant, diverse and inclusive workforce where the backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our staff are a driving force for collaboration, innovation and impact.
We work to ensure genuine equality of opportunity for people regardless of their gender, age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or family status, and we encourage you to apply for a position at Macquarie University.