- Salary Package: Level A Step 6 (PhD required) from $93,830 to $100,559 p.a. or Level B from $105,992 to $125,405 p.a., plus 17% employer’s Superannuation and annual leave loading.
- Appointment Type: Full-time, fixed term for 5 years with the possibility for extension.
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
This role is open to application by statisticians or data scientists who have a strong research interest and growing reputation in statistical modelling or cognate fields with demonstrated interest in interdisciplinary and/or applied research. The successful candidate will support the research of Professor Samuel Muller, Head of Department, and will collaborate with members of his research group, located at Macquarie University and at two other Australian universities.
The successful candidate will be expected to make a vigorous contribution in one or more of the following research areas and contribute to the supervision of PhD and MRes research students as well as assist and/or lead statistical consulting activities:
- Variable selection and inference for statistically challenging data, including for longitudinal, clustered and correlated univariate and multivariate responses;
- Investigating theoretical properties of regularization methods in various asymptotic scenarios and improving these methods by learning from resampling-based stability information;
- Developing model visualisation methods to enable interactive and dynamic model building;
- Robust selection and estimation in regression type models;
- Classification and improved prediction methods for multiplatform data;
- Devising statistical methods for the analysis of multi-layered and structured data in bioinformatics, microbiome and neuroscience applications.
The recently merged Department of Mathematics and Statistics represents a continuation of the traditions of the disciplines of Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics and Statistics at Macquarie University. This position is to support the newly appointed Head of Department to grow and maintain his research program in statistical modelling.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 55 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
To be considered for this position, applicants must demonstrate that they fulfil the selection criteria below. This should be done in a separate document, attached to the application along with their CV. Candidates may also wish to include a Research Statement, addressing their research achievements to date, and plans for the future.
Essential criteria for appointment at Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Level A)
- PhD awarded or submitted, in statistical modelling or a closely related area in statistics, data science, engineering or mathematics
- Demonstrated ability to publish in the scientific literature
- Ability to support the Head of Department's research program
- Ability to assist supervising postgraduate students
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Experience of presenting research results at seminars and/or scientific meetings
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Advanced computing skills including in programming in R
Essential criteria for appointment at Research Fellow (Level B)
- PhD in statistical modelling or a closely related area in statistics, data science, engineering or mathematics
- Demonstrated research ability that supports the Head of Department's research interests
- A strong record of research achievements as evidenced by high quality publications
- Ability to supervise postgraduate students
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Experience of presenting research results at scientific meetings
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong computing skills including in programming in R
Desirable criteria for appointments at both levels
- Potential to generate collaboration and funding from industry.
Role Specific Enquiries: Professor Samuel Muller via email email@example.com.
General Enquiries: Anne Kumanan, HR Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Sunday, 31st October at 11:55pm
Given current Australian Government COVID-19 border restrictions applications for this position are only being accepted from Australian citizens or permanent residents or people currently residing in Australia with full working rights.
At Macquarie University, we are committed to providing a working environment where each individual is valued, respected and supported to progress. Our priority is to ensure culture, policies and processes are truly inclusive and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identity, gender, culture, disability, LGBTIQA+ identities, family and caring responsibilities, age, or religion. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria and shares Macquarie University’s values of scholarship, empowerment and integrity to apply.
Learn more about our progress towards Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.