Research Associate in Biomineralization
Job no: 507366
Work type: Full Time
Vacancy type: Internal Vacancy, External Vacancy
Categories: Academic - Research Only / Fellowship
- Salary Package: Level A Step 6 from $93,830 to $100,559 per annum, plus 17% employer superannuation and annual leave loading
- Appointment Type: Full-time, fixed-term for 3 years
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
An exciting role has become available in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Macquarie University. We are seeking a qualified Research Associate to join a team with an international reputation for producing high quality research on Biomineralizaton and Earth and Planetary Sciences.
Macquarie is a young and dynamic university, focused on fostering collaboration between students, academics, industry and society, encouraging all to traverse the boundaries of their own perspective and effect change. In Macquarie's Faculty of Science and Engineering you'll join passionate researchers and educators blazing new trails in the spirit of discovery and exploration.The Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences is located on a beautiful, serene and green campus in northern Sydney.
About the Project
You will undertake research related to the multi-scale geochemical and structural characterization of biominerals. You will use multiple high-end methods based in different disciplines across the natural sciences and undertake method development for application to biominerals, such as mollusc shells, corals, bryozoans and pearls.
To be considered for this position, applicants must address the selection criteria below, and attach your CV (including a list of two referees), a statement of research interests and achievements.
- PhD degree in a relevant field
- Experience in high-end geochemical methods (including but not limited to LA-ICPMS, EPMA, Raman Spectroscopy, EBSD)
- Strong background in sample preparation and characterization of nano-composite materials
- Experience working both as an independent researcher and in a team-based environment and contributepositively to an active work milieu
- Demonstrated ability to manage and interpret complex datasets and publish leading-edge research
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to engage with staff and students across discipline boundaries.
- Experience in method development in micro- and/or nano-analysis
- Experience in aquaculture of mollusc and/or corals
- Experience in the application of gemmological methods to pearls and/or other biominerals
Specific Role Enquiries: Professor Dorrit Jacob, Head of Department, Earth and Environmental Sciences at email@example.com
General Enquiries: Anne Kumanan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Sunday, 31st May 2020 at 11:55pm
At Macquarie University, we are committed to providing a working environment where each individual is valued, respected and supported to progress. Our priority is to ensure culture, policies and processes are truly inclusive and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identity, gender, culture, disability, LGBTIQA+ identities, family and caring responsibilities, age, or religion. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria and shares Macquarie University’s values of scholarship, empowerment and integrity to apply.
Learn more about our progress towards Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search resultsPrint application form Apply now