Postdoctoral Fellow in Synthetic Biology
Job no: 507961
Work type: Full Time
Vacancy type: Internal Vacancy, External Vacancy
Categories: Academic - Research Only / Fellowship
- Salary Package: Level A Step 6 (PhD required) from $93,830 to $100,559 per annum, plus 13.5% employer superannuation and annual leave loading
- Appointment Type: Full-time, fixed-term for 12 months with a possibility of further renewal subject to funding.
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
An exciting role has become available in the Department of Molecular Sciences at Macquarie University. We are seeking a qualified Postdoctoral Research Fellow to join a team with an international reputation for producing high quality research on yeast synthetic genome construction and minimisation. The successful candidate will work with Dr Tom Williams and Professor Ian Paulsen within the yeast synthetic biology group within the Department of Molecular Sciences at Macquarie University, and will have the opportunity to assist in HDR supervision on this project.
Macquarie is a young and dynamic university, focused on fostering collaboration between students, academics, industry and society, encouraging all to traverse the boundaries of their own perspective and effect change. In Macquarie's Faculty of Science and Engineering you'll join passionate researchers and educators blazing new trails in the spirit of discovery and exploration.The Department of Molecular Sciences is located on a beautiful, serene and green campus in northern Sydney.
About the Project
You will undertake research related to the synthesis and debugging of a synthetic chromosome in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. You will conduct experiments that demonstrate the functionality of this synthetic chromosome, and will engineer minimal yeast genomes using the synthetic yeast genome SCRaMbLE system and fluorescence activated cell sorting.
To be considered for this position, applicants must address the selection criteria below, and attach your CV (including a list of two referees), a statement of research interests and achievements.
- PhD degree in a relevant field
- Experience in fluorescence activated cell sorting
- Experience in microbiology and molecular biology techniques such as DNA assembly, PCR, transformation, fermentation, and flow cytometry.
- Strong background in synthetic biology and/or yeast molecular biology
- Experience working both as an independent researcher and in a team-based environment and contribute positively to an active work environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage and interpret complex datasets and publish leading-edge research
- Experience in whole genome re-sequencing and related bioinformatics
- Experience in analytical chemistry techniques such as HPLC and GCMS
- Knowledge of and experience in the field of metabolic engineering
Enquiries: Dr Tom Williams at email@example.com
Applications Close: Wednesday 4 August 2020 at 11:pm
Macquarie University is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We value individual difference and recognise the strength of a vibrant, diverse and inclusive workforce where the backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our staff are a driving force for collaboration, innovation and impact.
We work to ensure genuine equality of opportunity for people regardless of their gender, age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or family status, and we encourage you to apply for a position at Macquarie University.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search resultsPrint application form Apply now