Technology Manager - Mass Spectrometry
Job no: 508275
Work type: Full Time
Vacancy type: Internal Vacancy, External Vacancy
Categories: Technical / Scientific Officer
- Looking for a skilled expert in Mass Spectrometry to join the Australian Proteome Analysis Facility at Macquarie University
- Salary Package: from $105,298 to $117,167 p.a. (Level 8), plus 17% employer’s Superannuation.
- Appointment Type: Full-time, fixed term 3 years
We are seeking an expert who is ready to join our team as Technology Manager – Mass Spectrometry. This role will manage the day to day operations of the Mass Spectrometry stream of the Australian Proteome Analysis Facility (APAF) at Macquarie University. Reporting to the APAF Manager you will:
- Contribute to the development and delivery of APAF's strategy, taking a lead role within the specialist stream of Mass Spectrometry.
- Work with clients to develop and provide appropriate Mass Spectrometry solutions and analysis.
- Manage and contribute expert advice for the day to day operations, projects, initiatives and resourcing for Mass Spectrometry, ensuring a highly professional and effective service is provided to clients, users and stakeholders
- Maintain knowledge, expertise and currency in sector trends and developments within Mass Spectrometry, working with stakeholders and the team to incorporate best practice and build protocols, capability and services.
- Contribute to business development and service improvement initiatives to grow and expand APAF core business (including contributing to infrastructure funding applications)
- Oversee the development and maintenance of facilities and equipment including specifications and procurement, sourcing, purchasing, installation and commissioning maintenance, decommissioning and end of life disposal.
- In consultation with the APAF Manager, plan for and manage the budget and financial operations within Mass Spectrometry and contribute to financial modelling (including cost benefit analysis and pricing).
- Manage, coach and develop a high performing team
The Macquarie Analytical and Workshop Facility (MAWF) sits within the Faculty of Science and Engineering, and includes a highly diverse range of analytical instrumentation and research facilities including the Australian Proteome Analysis Facility (APAF), Macquarie GeoAnalytical (MQGA), Microscopy Unit, Molecular Sciences Analytical unit and the Macquarie Engineering Technical Services (METS).
APAF provides high throughput, quality, national and international proteomics and protein chemistry research services in both fee-for-service as well as collaborative models for both academic and industry clients. The Facility operates modern functional proteomics and protein chemistry instrumentation integrated with in-house and commercial bioinformatics toolkits. The Facility has a mixed portfolio of activity including contract analysis, collaborative applied and fundamental research, training, and technology development to industry, government and the research community.
To be considered for this position, applicants must address the Selection Criteria below in a separate document or covering letter and upload the document as part of the application process with their curriculum vitae.
- Degree (preferably a postgraduate degree) including in depth mass spectrometric protein analysis and significant management and specialist experience.
- Proven experience and expert knowledge of proteomics mass spectrometry, instrumentation and data analysis, including analysis of single and complex protein samples
- Demonstrated state-of-the-art experience working with scientists and researchers in the design and execution of project specific proteomic analyses.
- Proven experience in providing relevant proteomic analysis to diverse applications in the biomedical, agricultural and pharmaceutical sectors in a quality accredited environment.
- Proven experience in managing and maintaining complex technical facilities and equipment including budgets and financial operations.
- Successful track record of driving business development and service improvement initiatives to grow and expand mass spectrometric business of an analytical Facility
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, including experience in leading and developing individual and team performance
For further information regarding this role please view the
Specific Role Enquiries: Belinda Schiller (APAF Manager) at email@example.com
Applications Close: 28 January 2021 at 11:55pm
At Macquarie University, we are committed to providing a working environment where each individual is valued, respected and supported to progress. Our priority is to ensure culture, policies and processes are truly inclusive and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identity, gender, culture, disability, LGBTIQA+ identities, family and caring responsibilities, age, or religion. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria and shares Macquarie University’s values of scholarship, empowerment and integrity to apply.
Learn more about our progress towards Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search resultsPrint application form Apply now