Technology Manager - Bioinformatics
Job no: 508276
Work type: Full Time
Vacancy type: External Vacancy
Categories: Technical / Scientific Officer
- Looking for a skilled expert in Bioinformatics to join the Australian Proteome Analysis Facility at Macquarie University
- Salary Package: from $105,298 to $117,167 p.a. (Level 8), plus 17% employer’s Superannuation.
- Appointment Type: Full-time, fixed term 3 years
We are seeking an expert who is ready to join our team as Technology Manager – Bioinformatics. This role will manage the day to day operations of the Bioinformatics stream of the Australian Proteome Analysis Facility (APAF) at Macquarie University. Reporting to the APAF Manager you will:
- Contribute to the development and delivery of APAF's strategy, taking a lead role within the specialist stream of Bioinformatics.
- Work with clients and APAF analysts to develop and provide appropriate Bioinformatics solutions and analysis.
- Manage and contribute expert advice for the day to day operations, projects, initiatives and resourcing for Bioinformatics, ensuring a highly professional and effective service is provided to clients, users and stakeholders
- Maintain knowledge, expertise and currency in sector trends and developments within Bioinformatics, working with stakeholders and the team to incorporate best practice and build protocols, capability and services.
- Contribute to business development and service improvement initiatives to grow and expand APAF bioinformatics capabilities
- In consultation with the APAF Manager, plan for and manage the budget and financial operations within Bioinformatics and contribute to financial modelling (including cost benefit analysis and pricing).
- Manage, coach and develop a high performing team
The Macquarie Analytical and Workshop Facility (MAWF) sits within the Faculty of Science and Engineering, and includes a highly diverse range of analytical instrumentation and research facilities including the Australian Proteome Analysis Facility (APAF), Macquarie GeoAnalytical (MQGA), Microscopy Unit, Molecular Sciences Analytical unit and the Macquarie Engineering Technical Services (METS).
APAF provides high throughput, quality, national and international proteomics and protein chemistry research services in both fee-for-service as well as collaborative models for both academic and industry clients. The Facility operates modern functional proteomics and protein chemistry instrumentation integrated with in-house and commercial bioinformatics toolkits. The Facility has a mixed portfolio of activity including contract analysis, collaborative applied and fundamental research, training, and technology development to industry, government and the research community.
To be considered for this position, applicants must address the Selection Criteria below in a separate document or covering letter and upload the document as part of the application process with their curriculum vitae.
- Degree (preferably a postgraduate degree) in a bioinformatics discipline and significant management and specialist experience.
- Capacity to integrate data from different ‘omics analyses undertaken in a project
- Proven experience in bioinformatics and/or data science relevant to protein analysis
- Experience working with clients, scientists, and researchers to provide expert advice, interpret and develop data algorithms, develop analysis plans and bioinformatic/statistical solutions to complex analytical problems.
- Successful track record of driving business development and service improvement initiatives to grow and expand core business of an analytical Facility
- Ability to build and maintaining strong relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, including experience in leading and developing individual and team performance
For further information regarding this role please view the position description APAF Technology Manager
Specific Role Enquiries: Professor Nicki Packer, Interim Director, APAF at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: 25 September 2020 at 11:55pm
At Macquarie University, we are committed to providing a working environment where each individual is valued, respected and supported to progress. Our priority is to ensure culture, policies and processes are truly inclusive and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identity, gender, culture, disability, LGBTIQA+ identities, family and caring responsibilities, age, or religion. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria and shares Macquarie University’s values of scholarship, empowerment and integrity to apply.
Learn more about our progress towards Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search resultsPrint application form Apply now