- Salary Package: from $105,298 – 117,167 per annum (HEW 8), plus 17% employers superannuation and annual leave loading
- Appointment Type: Full time, continuing
- Location: Macquarie University, North Ryde NSW 2109
Our Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) team is looking for a suitably qualified and experienced Hazardous Materials Compliance Consultant to develop and enhance the University’s capability and capacity to manage biological, chemical, LASER and radioactive materials. Reporting to the Manager, Workplace Health and Safety, you will be responsible for providing expert advice, recommendations, development and maintenance of institutional framework and training in line with current Legislation, Codes of Practice and Australian standards.
You will have experience working in a similar role with in-depth knowledge of the relevant legislation, Codes of Practice and standards pertaining to the procurement, use and disposal of biological, chemical, and radioactive materials.
You will have extensive experience in delivering expert advice and recommendations regarding the use of hazardous and biological materials as they impact on physical or environmental health and safety. Your strong communication skills with the ability to build and manage relationships will see you engage and work collaboratively with clients, stakeholders, and key contacts. You will intuitively have a high level of attention to detail and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
The Workplace Health and Safety Team supports the University and its controlled entities to achieve a positive and effective health and safety culture. The WHS Team provides management and oversight of the University’s safety management systems and related training, compliance and investigations, manages key relationships with stakeholders and external agencies; supports and monitors return to work programs; and works with managers and staff to ensure ongoing identification, assessment, control and reporting of WHS risks.
To be considered for this position, please apply online and attach your resume and a separate cover letter. The selection criteria are as follows:
- A postgraduate Science degree with experience working in laboratories or other research-related environments where research is conducted with hazardous chemicals, biological and radioactive materials.
- A certificate IV or higher and/or experience in Workplace health and safety or related discipline.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the relevant legislation, Codes of practice and standards pertaining to the procurement, use and disposal of chemical, radioactive and biological materials.
- Knowledge of the Gene Technology Act, Regulations and guidelines published by the Office of the Gene Technology Regulator.
- Developing and facilitating health and safety educational initiatives and applying workplace health and safety practices and principles.
- Conducting risk, hazard and incident assessments in environments exposed to hazardous materials.
- Conducting audits and workplace inspections and analysing and reporting on data.
- Demonstrated ability in building and maintaining collaborative working relationships.
*This position requires a criminal history check and Senior First Aid Certificate.
For further information regarding this role please view the position description below:
Position Description: Hazardous Material Compliance Consultant
Role-specific Enquiries: Lance Islip, Manager, Workplace Health and Safety via email@example.com
General Enquiries: Lizzy Nguyen, HR Officer via firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Tuesday, 1 December 2020 at 11:55pm (AEST)
At Macquarie University, we are committed to providing a working environment where each individual is valued, respected and supported to progress. Our priority is to ensure culture, policies and processes are truly inclusive and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identity, gender, culture, disability, LGBTIQA+ identities, family and caring responsibilities, age, or religion. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria and shares Macquarie University’s values of scholarship, empowerment and integrity to apply.
Learn more about our progress towards Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.